Employee Turnover among Hotel and Restaurant Staff

Employee Turnover among Hotel and Restaurant Staff in Murang’a Town, Kenya

By Munori Samuel Njeru (HPM-2-0090-11) & John Kahuthu Gitau

Job training, supervision and pay practices are the core human resource practices in the management of organizations, specifically in attracting and retaining employees. In this respect, not taking great deal of care and cognizance of these practices; hotels have found themselves dealing with the consequences of high employee turnover, an activity attributed to inadequate job training, poor supervision and poor pay practices in the industry. It is in the light of these challenges that the current study aims to determine the role of job training, supervision, and payment practices in reducing employee turnover in hotels and restaurants. A case study design targeting the hotels’ employees and employers was utilized. Simple random and purposive sampling techniques were used to select individuals for inclusion into the study sample where 60 of them participated in the study. The findings of the study reveal that only as low as 5% of the total number of respondents had artisan skills in hospitality with none having a diploma or a degree. In addition, the findings reveal that majority (75%) of respondents were not accommodated by the employers, and reported poor payments which does not commensurate their work, 80% of employees were not happy with their current jobs in the hotel, and 90% revealed that jobs training opportunities are offered by the establishment. In addition, results reveal the relationship between the employee and employers especially where it is negative. Based on the findings, this study recommends that hotel and restaurant to come up with a good payment policies that will ensure that employees receive better pay for their services. Further, the study recommends employers to ensure sound human resource practices such as fair and effective performance appraisals. In addition, employers need to put in place job training plans that give job-related skills to employees in hotels and restaurants.